[Hlavní strana] [Kalendář akcí] [Kontakt] [Pro registrované]



Návrat na hlavní stranu

CHURCH OF ST. WENCESLAS

This is the most significant piece of cultural heritage in Vranov; particularly the sacristy of the church. It is very likely that the sacristy was one of the oldest pre-Roman churches, Rotundas, established in connection with the mission effort of Sv. Vojtěch - Slavníkovec. The original pre-Roman Rotunda was converted into a Sacristy in the thirteenth century during the addition of a nave (still in the Roman style).
Another stage of the reconstruction was adding a door to a late Gothic-style portal. The door is fitted in its original place in the southern portal of the presbytery; it is a late Gothic piece of work from the second half of the 15th century or, at the latest, from the beginning of the16th century. The door is simply glued together from three thick wooden planks. The ironwork of the door starts with simple loops which are developed into a rich ornamental pattern with heraldic lilies. There is a Gothic lock on the internal side of the door, a so called ‘bracket lock’, whose main components are a bracket, gauges and a key which was used to open and lock the door from the outside. From inside the lock was operated manually without the use of a key. The technique of manufacture and the decoration suggested that the lock was produced in about the middle of the 15th century. Due to the fact that in the area of the Benešov District, similar locks were also found in Načeradec, Popovice, Chvojínek and Bělice, we may presume that in Benešov there was either a blacksmith or locksmith who produced these locks.

The best era for the church was its reconstruction in the 18th century which converted the church into a Baroque style and when a massive tower was added. In 1905 the church was reconstructed into a Neo-Baroque style (a hall and a lich-house were added to the tower). Part of the church is a bell that comes from the reign of King Karel IV called Meduný; it was named after the wooded hill of Meduný where legend states that it was dug out by a hog. In 1659 another bell called Sv. Václav was added to the church because of the work of the knight Valdštejn of Komorní Hrádek. During the First World War, the bell was handed over for war purposes. In 1928 the priest, Father Václav Poslední, organised a bell collection which paid for new bells (Sv. Václav and Sv. Jan Nepomucký). Unfortunately these bells could not resist the events of the war and were taken away from the church by Nazi officials during the Second World War.

LOKALIZACE


AKTUALIZACE: Václav Pošmurný (TO 03) org. 2, 20.11.2005 v 11:10 hodin



Copyright 1998-2020 © Luděk Šorm